Why the Josh Duggar Scandal has Silenced Christians

Last Wednesday as I was scrolling through my phone I learned of the terrible news about Josh Duggar. My heart sank and my mind immediately began thinking about the heartbreak that his wife, Anna must have been feeling. I was both surprised and saddened by the news. First molestation accusations and now adultery. I thought, oh my gosh they are really going to have our heads now! A good majority of Christians were standing behind Josh when word of his past actions got to the public. I being one of them, could now feel all the naysayers breathing down my back. I immediately wanted to say something but I thought, I'll wait. 

I wanted to see what everyone had to say. But to my surprise I saw hardly any comments in regards to Josh Duggar from my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Hmmm. The same people who had stuck up for him before were nowhere to be found. Were they ashamed? Why weren't they saying anything? The people I did hear from (as expected) were those who never liked Josh Duggar- or the entire Duggar family for that matter. They were voicing their opinions as loudly as they could. They were making fun of Christians and name calling them. Why weren't any Christians saying anything?

After a few days of stewing over the situation, I felt as if maybe Christians were angry and upset. Maybe they felt betrayed because they had stuck up for someone they truly believed was living a righteous and redeemed life. 

I personally felt "let down". Kind of like the feeling you get when you are counting on your kid to do the right thing and they don't. You know they knew better and had the capability of choosing right but they didn't. It doesn't stop your love for them but you simply feel let down. I thought of my husband and one of the first things he ever taught me, "People will always let you down. It doesn't matter who it is." Which calls to my memory the scripture that tells us not to put our trust in any man.

And that is when I realized that so many of us Christians had put hope into a human being! I love the Duggar family and the morals and values that they practice. But they should have never been put so far up the righteous pole that we thought they were without fault. The fact is that I believed (and rightfully so) that Josh Duggar was living a life pleasing to the Lord and had repented and turned away from his sexual sins. The Bible tells us to forgive and that is what a lot of us did. 

But in light of the news that Josh himself admitted, he in fact was being hypocritical. In my earlier post about Josh and the molestation charges, I stated that it was just like the enemy to bring up our past mistakes. That is true; God forgives and forgets but the devil is the accuser of the brethren. I believed that Josh's mistakes were being made public because of an "attack". It is now VERY clear to me that it was no attack at all but a consequence of iniquity in his heart. Because he was living a "double" life and walking outside of the will of God, he had no covering. God said he likes it hot or cold, not in between. The lukewarm he will spit out. When you are walking the fence and continue in disobedience to God, you remove yourself from his covering. You break the covenant you made with him and therefore he is not obligated to hold up his end. 

I mean seriously out of all the sites that could have been hacked, it was Ashley Madison. Out of all the names that could have come up, it was Josh Duggar's. Out of all the times it could have been revealed it is now. My friend this was no coincidence at all. What is done in the dark will come out in the light. 

Christian friends, don't let the fall of any man- great or small- silence your voice to speak the truth. Don't let the naysayers back you into a corner telling you that your faith is a joke because someone got caught being a hypocrite. Of course they did! Our faith tells us that unrepentant sin won't go unpunished. It will be brought to the light. You just keep proclaiming the good news- Jesus saves and he has the power to completely change the heart of any man or woman who will let him.

I urge you to get rid of any sin in your heart. Any hidden sin, confess it one to another. Repent and don't look back. I am praying for Josh, that he gets deliverance from sexual perversion and truly turns his life around. And let us not forget that Josh Duggar is one of MILLIONS of people who are engaging in sexual perversion- we need to pray for them all!






No comments:

Post a Comment